Kamehameha Scholars is seeking career professionals/mentors to kōkua with their upcoming summer orientation program on July 22-24 where they’ll be working with about 120 incoming 9th and 10th graders to orient them to the Kamehameha Scholars program. During the summer orientation program, students will be working in small groups to investigate careers and create presentations which they’ll share at our Hōʻike on the final day of the program. We’re looking for career professionals that represent all of the CTE Pathways as follows:
- Business (accountant, human resources specialist, manager, etc.)
- Natural Resources (archeologist, fish pond manager, farmer, veterinarian, astronomer, etc.)
- Industrial & Engineering Technology (engineer, architect, carpenter, computer tech, etc.)
- Health Services (nurse, doctor, pharmacist, etc.)
- Public & Human Services (fire fighter, police officer, paramedic, counselor, teacher, psychologist, etc.)
- Arts & Communication (fine arts, performing arts, journalist, novelist, public relations specialist, broadcaster, communications specialist, graphic designer, etc.)
Career professionals (or mentors, as we call them), will provide information to our groups about their career: what are their daily responsibilities, what led them to choose that career, what their educational pathway was like, what they like/don’t like about their career … any information that will help the students gain a clear understanding of both the career and the pathway itself. We’ll also be discussing the concept of kuleana with our students and how our career choice can help us fulfill our kuleana to our lāhui. As the students work on their projects, we’d also like our career professionals to provide feedback on those projects. We want to encourage discussion between the adults and the students.
Career professionals should be able to be on site with our students preferably two out of the three days, during the times listed below. If you can make it to all sessions, that would be great! We can work around your schedule.
- Wednesday, July 22: 3:00pm – 4:15pm
- Thursday, July 23: 2:00pm – 3:45pm
- Friday, July 24: 9:00am – 12:00pm (available for at least 1-2 hours during this time frame)
- Friday, July 24 (Optional Hōʻike): 6:00pm – 7:00pm
On Wednesday and Thursday we will be at the Kakaʻako warehouses at 445 Cooke Street (across Fisher Hawaii); on Friday we will be at Kaʻiwakīloumoku at the Kapālama Campus.
If you’re interested in joining us at summer orientation, please contact us right away!
We will be hosting an informal Lunch & Learn for interested parties on Friday, July 17 from 11:30am-12:30pm at Kaiona.
Please RSVP to Gina Karas at 534-8386 or email@example.com by Wednesday, July 15.