Individual scholarship funds will require the applicant to meet other conditions. Review the Scholarship Listing for specific requisites. Applicant must:
- Be a classified, degree-seeking student
- Be attending an institution in Hawai`i or the continental U.S.
- Be a full-time student unless specifically noted in the Scholarship Listing
- Be attending a two or four-year accredited* institution
*See Accrediting Agencies page for a list of accrediting bodies
- Includes answering the four mandatory essay questions
- Selection of scholarship funds
- Any additional essay questions
Online Application FAQs
What do I do if my essay is being cutoff?
All essay entries have a limitation of 3,000 characters, which is counted by each stroke on the keyboard (characters, spaces, returns). The counter at the bottom of the entry block indicates the number of characters you have remaining and will display a negative number if you are over the 3,000 character limit. In the event of an overage, you will need to edit your entry down to the 3,000 character limit.
What if I can’t find my institution in the application’s drop-down list?
First, check that your institution is accredited by referencing the Accrediting Agencies page. If you institution is accredited by one of the bodies above, click on “Other” and type in your institution in the text box provided.
Why can’t I click on the “Review Documentations” tab?
The “Review Documentations” tab will only become clickable after you’ve submitted your online application, i.e. you’ve clicked the “Submit” button at the end of the online application.
May I make changes to my online application once it has been submitted?
No, once your online application is submitted request for changes must be submitted in writing prior to the deadline via email to email@example.com
___Letter of recommendation
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from a non-KS person, is required. The writer must comment on your overall character, community service/activities, potential for success and any other area the feel appropriate.
- Accepted only through our online portal
Can a family member write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
No. Letters of recommendation from family members are not accepted. If a letter if found to be from a family member and you are awarded a scholarship, the scholarship will be rescinded and awarded to the next eligible ranked student.
- Only if you are applying to the Ula Baker Sheecha scholarship
- Submit a hard-copy portfolio of pictures of works of art
- Attach a separate page with your name and KAPF ID#
- Portfolio will not be returned once submitted